Sunday 23 May 2010

Compost is cool

here is this mornings superforest.org BLOG... Thought I would pass it on




I started with an experiment last fall, collecting all my compostable things in a tupperware container, and seeing how much I was wasting by throwing those things away was enough to kick my butt into gear and start composting properly. The answers to my questions were simple.

Where will my compost go? There are three units in my building; together we contribute to the compost heap out back. When it’s ready, some goes to the tiny raised beds in our driveway, and the rest is shared with a community garden down the hill.

I produce so little, does it really matter? After my little tupperware experiment, it was clear that I did NOT produce so little, and when combined with my neighbors, we’ve got ourselves so much compost that we don’t even use it all.

So, if you need a little kick start like I did, just collect your compostable bits for a week. See how much there is (you’ll be surprised). And, check out these wacky things that can be composted (I learned this from Gayla of You Grow Girl):

* Gum
* Hair
* Toothpicks
* Pet bedding (Rabbits, hamsters, and other herbivores only!!)
* Paper egg cartons
* Tissues and paper toweling (Depending on what was on them)
* Cotton balls (Depending on what was on them)
* Paper bags
* Toilet rolls
* Shredded paper, newspaper, receipts and documents (non-glossy)
* Wine corks
* Matches
* Dry dog food (Be careful about attracting vermin but makes a good compost activator for getting your pile rocking.)
* Cardboard
* Old spices and herbs from the cupboard
* Nut shells
* Wine (Another decent compost activator)
* Felt, old wool, bamboo or cotton socks
* Dust from sweeping and vacuuming
* Old pasta
* Spoiled flower bouquets and their water

Wow! Compost, watch your trash pile shrink, and feel good about putting something awesome back into the earth. If you need instructions, just do some Googling. There are a myriad of site out there with good guides.

1 comment:

  1. saw this on their site to... I LOVE SUPERFOREST!!! ♥
    I've been looking for a compost bin.
    looked online but they can be a bit pricey so I've been looking into homemade bins. I've found some "how to" youtube videos that are pretty neat.
    but YES i loved this post, didn't know you could compost some of this stuff so this list was SUPER helpful.

    ReplyDelete